Issues with the McAfee Check for Updates function
When you choose to upgrade your McAfee security software, the Check for Updates feature does not work properly. In this case, selecting Check for Updates takes you to the McAfee Home screen rather than the Check for Updates screen.
When you try to update your McAfee security software, the update begins, but it appears to become “stuck” at a random location. For example, the update process may come to a halt at 78 and fail to complete.
Even if you run a check for updates on your McAfee security computer several times in a single day, it always indicates that an update is available.
The following problems occur when a McAfee update fails to install:
Also, your McAfee Windows security program displays a message indicating that updates are available, but, when you check for an update, you receive an error,
indicating that McAfee is unable to update your software package. Please verify that you have an active internet connection. This issue might be caused by network configuration difficulties or a faulty item in the Windows registry.
Fixes for McAfee update not installing:
MVT (McAfee Virtual Technician) is an automated self-healing technology that works in tandem with your McAfee software package to identify and repair common issues.
MVT can even fix some issues that are preventing your McAfee software package from installing properly.
- To begin, go to McAfee’s customer support page and go all the way down to the McAfee Virtual Technician section:
- Then click “Run” after clicking “download.”
- If asked, save the mvt.exe file to your desktop.
- MVT may be started by double-clicking on mvt.exe or by clicking Run.
- If Windows User Account Management asks you if you want to allow MVT to start, choose Yes.
- Allow MVT to finish installing, initializing, and updating. This approach may take a few minutes.
- MVT then analyses your PC and your McAfee software for issues.
If any issues are discovered:
- Select Autofix and
- Then follow the steps to allow MVT to resolve the issue.
If MVT is unable to resolve the issue, contact Technical Support. Close MVT if no issues are identified. If MVT does not address the issue, you do not need to install MVT on your computer; instead, use the solution below.
Issues with the McAfee update not installing can be resolved in the following ways:
If the above method doesn’t work, follow the steps below to disable Access Protection, update your code, and then re-enable Access Protection:
- Click on Navigation on the right side of your McAfee code (or click on the cog at the top right).
- Select General Settings and Alerts.
- Deselect Use Access Protection from the Access Protection menu.
- Close your McAfee code by clicking Apply.
- Check for updates by right-clicking the McAfee symbol on the Windows system tray beside the clock.
- Re-enable Access Protection when the upgrade is complete by selecting the Use
- Access Protection option and clicking Apply.
- Restart your computer.
You may also like to read,