What is McAfee?
McAfee is an antivirus scanner that detects and reports on various software that is harmful to your computer. It also aids in the restoration of damaged files and protects your computer from measurement problems caused by various viruses transmitted via various methods, such as pen drives, CDs, automatic opening of links with various downloads, and so on. However, we are occasionally requested to uninstall McAfee on Mac.
Why do we need to remove McAfee?
Because it is free software that must be purchased after 30 days, you may simply download it from the internet. Nevertheless, occasionally, excessive links are downloaded with it, causing you to receive unexpected warnings.
It has also been observed that the device begins to hang, that many other programs cease to operate, and that the computer’s operation becomes extremely sluggish. This might be owing to the high amount of space consumed by this software.
Even if you wish to install another antivirus software, you must entirely remove McAfee antivirus from your computer, since it will not enable other software to run on the computer.
How to Uninstall McAfee on Mac
So, if you’re seeking instructions on how to uninstall McAfee on a Mac, follow these steps:
Method 1: Utilizing an App Cleaner and Uninstaller
App Cleaner and Uninstaller are software that allows us to thoroughly uninstall other programs and applications on the Mac. It usually just takes a few minutes to remove a program using these two tools.
However, McAfee is a smart anti-virus that creates certain support files on your Mac if the uninstalling procedure is not finished properly. Some of the other leftover files are still present on the Mac machine.
So, before uninstalling McAfee on the Mac, you must pay attention to certain particular procedures and carefully follow the tutorial.
- Close the McAfee software on your PC.
- Navigate to the menu bar and choose the icon.
- Then navigate to the Preferences tab.
- When the preferences window appears,
- Select the lock symbol.
- Now turn off the firewall.
- Remove McAfee LiveSafe by tapping the button.
- When you’re finished, go to the monitor’s activity area and see if anything is going on in the background involving McAfee or software that’s running in the background in some way. If this is the case, you must close them.
- Restart your Mac now. It will ensure that no background work is being performed on your computer.
- After restarting your Mac, launch the app cleaner and uninstalled it.
- From the list of applications, choose the McAfee app.
- Now, press the delete button.
- A pop-up notice will appear asking you to confirm the action; simply press the confirm button.
- The installation procedure will now begin, and once completed, restart your Mac.
Method 2: Using the terminal to uninstall McAfee
According to McAfee’s website, you may entirely uninstall your McAfee antivirus by using a specific command on the terminal. So, here are the methods for uninstalling
- McAfee from the command line:
- Open the terminal and proceed to the launch pad.
- As an administrator, log in to the terminal.
- Now, pick McAfee and click Remove.
Once the uninstalling procedure on your Mac is complete,
However, some users have claimed that even after removing it via the terminal, their machine still displays some notifications. Therefore, you will need to use an app
cleaner and uninstaller to remove McAfee from your Mac.
Method 3: Making use of an extension (web control)
McAfee utilizes the Safari extension, also known as a web control, as the default, which we can easily delete by navigating to the Safari preferences:
- Navigate to the Safari settings page.
- Navigate to the Extensions tab.
- Select web control and then click the uninstall option.
- To thoroughly uninstall the plugin, please be sure to close all browsers while the removal procedure is underway.
- Go to the dock and open the program folder.
- Select the McAfee internet security remover option.
- Continue by pressing the Continue button.
- Proceed to login and press OK button.
- Now press the Finish button.
If you follow all of the instructions above, you should be able to simply uninstall McAfee on your Mac device. If you have any issues, you should certainly use the app cleaner and uninstaller software, which will erase the software and leave no residual files on your computer.